Our Home Away from Home!

Our Home Away from Home!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Little Bandit Stole My Heart......

Well I just couldn't be more excited!  I feel so much better and thank you to all of you for your most kindest of well wishes. The weather is still raining and cold, but we have great big nice windows to look out of and this week the RV goes in to get all well too.  Oh... is this why I am excited? Well partly, I am excited because I got a picture of something. Something I wanted all last year while we were here but the little stinker out foxed me all the time. I guess he heard I had been sick because yesterday I was sitting at the table and whalah there he was pretty as a picture hanging on the tree looking at me. So here is my first picture out the window...Barbara this one is for you. 

Yes, I know, the clarity could be better but...I got a Pileated Woodpecker.  How thrilling for me anyway. Now some of you may be going hooo humm.  What can I say I get excited over little things.  :)

And I am not done. Oh no the creatures are ascending upon us like the animals did to Noah and the Ark. Not really but it sounded good.  Art sees this one for me....

It was right at sundown and there she was. Standing right beside the camper just back in the woods a little. She just mosied around eating new leaves and shoots coming up out of  the ground.

She wasn't very big I'm guessing a year old, maybe.  She is darker here as the sun didn't bleach her out as much.  Isn't she adorable??

 It was just our week I guess for animals.  Art just about gave me a heart attack when this girl appeared out the window.  "Tam, a turkey."  And NO not that softly.  Well all was going well; she was laying down on her side dusting herself in a mole's run when here comes Bill, another host on his golf cart and scared her.  Thanks Bill way to go!!!! He knows I'm just kidding! 


Look at her! Off she goes in a dead heat behind the bathhouse. She looks more like a Roadrunner at this point, but hey I gotta turkey!


Okay I'll give you a break from the animals for a minute.  I shared with you a few blogs back the other camp hosts sights but at that time 2 of them weren't here yet. So now I want to show you where they live....

This is where Harold and Nancy the beach mangers live.  It wasn't very pretty and sunny out when I took these but can you believe the photo on the right is what they see out their back window.  Not too shabby is it? They have a gorgeous view of Lake Monroe from their site.

This is Glen and Casey's site on Bluegill.  He also is employed by the Forest Service. 

Guess what returned to us this week. I guess others have seen them in the park but he was a first for us.  I was so excited I was doing my hummingbird dance....


This picture I had a little fun with can you tell?  He was sitting in the tree and as you can tell he was puffed up some as it was cold out.  Since the photo quality wasn't that good I decided to try this different editing option.


The work here at the park has really slacked off as much of it is done.  So that gives us more time for walks and taking the golf cart out looking for photo opportunities.  While we were riding on the golf cart Friday I told Art that I wished I had discovered this love for photography earlier in my life.  He asked why and I said, "because I look at the world differently now."  I take the time to look at the area I am in and I look at it at different angles. I don't want to rush at what I'm doing for fear I might miss something.  I guess in my older age I appreciate the world that I am living in and enjoying the beauty of it far more than in my younger years.  I know I never knew a flower had so much detail as before, or that a tree looks different when you stand directly under it and look up at the sky, or that you need a vast amount of patience when waiting for a turkey or deer to come walking out of the forest.  And I know from proof in these next few pictures that I 'notice' what is going around in my world from the ground all the way up into the trees.  All the time we were here last year we heard they were here but I never got one picture of them.  I am so glad I did not for I am awarded this year by this amazing set of pictures.  How marvelous to witness this act of nature.....

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this....I have seen it before when I was a little girl growing up in the woods but not with a camera in my hand ready to get a picture.

She definitely saw us watching her but she never hurried, she went slow and steady up the tree with this precious little bundle in her mouth. 


You could just feel her sense of relief when she deposited that little bundle in his new home.  As a mom I could sympathize with how much she wanted her little one safe.  She stole my heart.

We just sat in the cart a ways off and waited and remained very quiet as not to alarm her.  And you know the thing that really puzzles me is Cooper and Effie do not bark at wildlife. They will bark their heads off at a person but a deer or squirrel runs across our path...nothing.  Which is good, for me and I'm glad so it didn't scare the mama raccoon.

It wasn't long before this little bandit of a face appeared in the hole.  "Are you still there?"  You could only imagine that was what she wanted to yell at us. 

Woody said there was no way he was being left out of the blog so he came and lit on the tree right outside our trailer window too.  I tell you with all the rain we have been getting I may have thought the animals knew something we didn't as much as we saw of them.  But wait...I'll bet the bird seed and corn I put out had something to do with it. 

And I hope you are not tired of butterflies because this plant is a magnet.  I told Art you are probably wondering if I am sticking fake ones in the plant to get these pictures ha ha...

There were five on here at one time.  These are Western Tiger Swallowtails, they are so pretty and colorful.

When I was a little girl and grew up where I did it was really much like where were are now. I was surrounded by woods and creeks. And one thing we had many of were these little ground squirrels. My Mom loved them and always nicknamed them Freddy.  Here is our little Freddy at Hardin Ridge.
I guess I will end here tonight.  I am tired and need to turn in as we have to pack up and leave tomorrow morning. We are leaving a day early in order to go by our house and unload the fridge and our clothes and then get up early Tues morning and take it to the dealership. Here is crossing our fingers they have it fixed and ready for us to return in a hurry.  Freddy, Woody and all our animal buddies will miss us, and I expect the hand outs we are giving too. Truth be told I will miss them.

So from Hardin Ridge take care everyone. 

35 comments:

  1. So much to see in mother nature, glad that you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is and I love seeing it and getting their pictures. I am sooooo enjoying it, thanks!

      Delete
  2. What fun pictures you got! I think I am going to have to get one of those plants. I love how they attract the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I picked up this plant at Lowes. I believe it was a Senetti. You do it you love butterflies. I couldn't believe how fast they found it too.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you guys. I appreciate your comment. Hope to get some more in the days when we get back.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that Mother Nature is surprising you with all her little creatures near your site.
    I find it's really hard to get a good photo of wild animals and birds. It does take patience.
    You are doing fantastic at photographing them.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, me too. It seems we are seeing way more than last year. Yes, patience but I am so willing to wait.
      Thank you so much I appreciate your compliment.
      Take care.

      Delete
  5. Going to put out our hummer feeder today, they should be here shortly if not already, Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to show up so fast. That is what they did down at the park. Hope you get some quickly.

      Delete
  6. Great post Tammy! I so relate to your feelings about photography. It has changed my life too! Mama raccoons face peeping out of her home is way cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you so much. That is so neat, that it changed both of us. I never noticed near as much as I do now due to thinking about taking a picture. Thank you yes, she was adorable.

      Delete
  7. You may have started later in life with your photography but you definitely have learned how to take wonderful pictures. Scooter barks at squirrels but not really any other wildlife. Skittlez barks because Scooter barks - she doesn't have a clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that is so sweet! Thank you. Maybe if I had started earlier I wouldn't appreciate it as much. Yes, Effie barks when Cooper does too, and visa vera. Aren't they funny kids!!

      Delete
  8. You got some great pictures...thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys I appreciate that. And you are welcome!

      Delete
  9. Oh, I can't believe how darn cute that coon is looking out her window! Wonderful pics! I'm so glad that the camera is giving you a different appreciation for life & it's wonderful lives. As I kid, I'd just sit & watch things. I studied flowers, grew up in the country & I guess that's what country kids do ;-) Thanks for today's post, I'm sorry that you are going to have to leave to deal with getting the rig repaired. Hope they get it done quickly! Stress that it IS your home & you'll need it back asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyn, isn't she?? I just love their faces. Thank you I'm so happy to have discovered it. I used to do the same thing as a child, I would love to discover new things etc. but I never had a camera. Me too I am so stressed wondering how long they are going to have it.
      Yes,we will do that. I just hope it makes a difference.

      Delete
  10. You really hit the jackpot! As they say, "You had me with the woodpecker!" Thanks for that - I haven't seen a Pileated Woodpecker yet. You've got lots of wonderful birds and animals (and insects) there. You are going to get a ton of great photos this year. Keep the camera handy.

    I would have died to see the mama raccoon bringing her baby up the tree. Thank goodness the camera was ready to catch them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, I'm glad you liked the woodpecker. The minute I got that I thought of you. I always wanted my blog to be as good as yours hope I am getting there?
      Yes, there is so much there to see and photograph and I am lucky to get to do it. I sure hope so. I will, or at least I hope I do.

      I was sure surprised. I couldn't believe we didn't see one last year and then to get to see this, how fortunate we were.

      Delete
  11. LOVE,LOVE the wildlife pictures. I'm like you, I never realized how much I love to take pictures until we got a blog...We saw a Pileated Woodpecker at Sam Houston Forest in Texas...I could hardly contain myself...Looks like you are settling in your new diggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thank you, I'm glad you did. Isn't that funny it took the blog to make us see that? I am glad it did though. There was a Pileated last yr that taunted me and I never could get his picture. I was like you sooooo excited to finally get one. Now I will probably see him or her everywhere. Yes, now I just wish it was fixed!

      Delete
  12. Love the pictures of wildlife. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tammy! you're a natural for photography ... how freaking great is the Mama raccoon! well, all the pictures... oh, nature nature nature... those butterflies!

    goooooood stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn how nice of you to say. I'm glad you enjoy nature as much as I do.

      Delete
  14. What a great bunch of pictures. I am not a fan of raccoons (they are a real problem where I live) but the pictures of that mama and her baby are priceless. Love the woodpecker - so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. I know raccoons can be real nuisances but they sure are cute little devils.
      But a baby one, ah just steals your heart.

      Delete
  15. You guys remind me of the Wilderness Family :) Surrounded by nature and wildlife. Making friends with raccoons, deer, and, birds. However, I would advise against becoming friends with a black bear though ;) Love your pics, all my friends think its pretty cool I have parents that our full time RVers :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos and even greater commentary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say the nicest things Hazel thank you so much.

      Delete
  17. Your photos are fantastic. I especially love the one of the little raccoon peeking out from the hole in the tree. Safe travels tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Muffy. Yes,that one is my favorite too. Thanks I hope we have them too.

      Delete
  18. Great photos! You have developed a real knack for catching them. Willy, Gretchen, and Harley are very good about not barking when we are out in nature too.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Colleen Phipps (longdog2)
    Traveling with The Longdogs
    http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colleen. I appreciate that I am just lucky I guess. I am glad Cooper and Effie are quiet so I can take them with me.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I love reading them, they make me feel
like I get to know each of you personally. Please keep them coming.......