Our Home Away from Home!

Our Home Away from Home!

Monday, February 11, 2013

Can You Handle One More Blog on Farm Memories?

The reason I like to relive moments on the farm and post them is because I feel like the "family farm" is slowly becoming a thing from the past. When I was a little girl we used to drive around the country side looking at all the new born animals. Baby lambs, calves, piglets, colts, kids (baby goats) and now you don't see that any longer. It is rare to even see cows grazing in the field, or horses running around a pasture. And pigs rooting in the mud, well that is gone forever, since all swine operations are in buildings now, entitled ''swine operations." I find this to be so sad.  You know there are many many many kids today that do not know where eggs come from?  I grew up on a farm but Art was true born "city boy."  He teases that when we became married he didn't know he was taking not only me, but cats, dogs, chickens, rabbits, ducks, goats, pigs, turkeys, geese, and horses to have and to hold. :) He adapted very well. Now he even knows the difference between hay and straw!!  There was one more thing that I wanted to address about animals because I just love them so much and wanted to share this.

                                    Animals definitely have feelings.......

Even ducks.  Surprised? Well here is my story. We have raised every kind of duck there is.
Pekins, Cayugas, Muscovy, Khaki, Indian Runners, Mallards, Rouens, and one of our favorites little Call ducks. They are tiny little miniatures of regular ducks, just adorable.
Muscovys can reproduce like rabbits, they are great mothers and can handle up to 18 plus eggs. One summer we had several babies and so we were getting too many. Art knew of a lady that had a pond and wanted some ducks. So we gave her about 5 if I remember right.
A couple of them were Muscovy. She called me one evening and said she was worried about one of them, he wasn't eating or drinking and she was afraid he was going to die. So I told her yes, to definitely bring him back to us. The very minute she sat him down he ran over started eating corn and drinking water. We were all astonished. A duck being home sick, missing his home? Well this one did and he remained with us the rest of his life.

Most people know that horses are herd animals, they really need companionship. We had 4 horses  (2 Quarter horses, 1 Appaloosa, and 1 Arabian/Quarter mix and 1 miniature.)  The 4 big horses were all geldings (boys) and the little miniature was a little mare, so we kept her in a separate pen so she wouldn't get hurt.  3 yrs ago we had a unbelievable, horrible summer with them. One of our Quarter horses Bobby,  died of old age, he was close to 30. Then our Arabian mix Dan, developed cancer and died, and then the Appaloosa Z developed this horrible infection while we were on vacation and died. What a shock that was!!! Needless to say it ruined our vacation. Well this one was the buddy of our last Quarter horse Champ, that we had, and he took Z's death really really hard. Since he was the last of the big horses that was left he went into this depression. He didn't want to eat, or come out of the barn. He would eat if I went into the barn and fed him but he just stood in the corner. So not only was I was so upset over loosing Z, Champ was really worrying me. We didn't know what to do. We still had Whinnie, the miniature so we put her in a pen beside him and that seemed to help. So after a few weeks of that we put them together, as we felt she was safe with him. And wah-lah he was fine. 

Ok enough sad stories, this one is cute and cuddly.  You know how they say that girls, well most girls want to grow up and be moms?  Well chickens do too I guess. We had this one hen who just wanted babies so badly, she would sit on her eggs and then some bully would come and push her off, so they wouldn't hatch.  Not only were the hens hatching chicks that year but the cats were having kittens. One cat decided the best place to have hers was in one of the nesting boxes, smart cat.  So this hen must have thought, "surprise, the stork has arrived, instant babies."  She adopted them, and she would sit on them everyday and I or one of the girls would have to go out and pick her up so the mama kitty could feed them. Then she would get off and the chicken would resume her warming duties. Now how cute is that? You know we have pictures of all of this but they are packed away in a box, not on the computer, so you have to use your imagination.

I have more believe me but I don't want to stay stuck on one subject. I appreciate all the great and sincere comments that people have left after reading the farm blogs. This is what makes us all so unique we all have different backgrounds, and can share so many different memories. Making friends on this blog has been so much fun and enjoyable. Even though I haven't met any of you face to face I feel like I know you through your blogs and the comments you leave on mine.  So from Thorntown hugs and best wishes to you all.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy, I love your farm story. You know a lot more about farm animals than me. I know about cow and calves and cats and kittens and that's about it.

    I can attest that animals have feelings. I've seen it with my own eyes and it's heart breaking.

    Take care
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia. I just have grown up around animals my whole life. I have pictures of me sitting with a whole bunch of baby ducks when I was about 3. I am glad that you know what I mean, I'm sure you have saw it also.

      Delete
  2. Aw..... how sweet! I liked chickens a lot when I was on the farm. I lived on one until I was 8. think I did mention that ... one reason I'm practically a vegetarian. Hi Julia ;)

    Duck feet stick to the floor! oh, lord!

    We had a mule ... a gray one. his name was gray mule. I wasn't allowed near him. I was afraid of horses ... neighbors had them BUT loved to watch them... so beautiful

    We had pigs also. loved the pigs. very bright animals ~ sniff too bright t'eat.

    I love your stories ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a donkey once but we didn't keep him but for about a year as he got really mean. He would bite at our horses' legs. He was cute though!!!! You are right pigs are very smart. Thanks I'm glad you liked them.

      Delete
  3. Love your animal stories. Keep 'em coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Muffy. I'll try to come up with some more.

      Delete
  4. I agree....I love your stories. I taught Kindergarten/1st grade for 34 years. Your stories sure would make great children's books. Have you ever considered having them published?

    I know our pups have feelings...
    have a great Tuesday!
    Until next time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, that is so sweet. No, have never thought of it. I would like to see the family farm preserved though as so many children know so little about it.

      Delete
  5. I loved the story of the hen who kept the kittens warm. Most people never give a thought to the idea that animals can be so intelligent in their own ways, but some of us know better. Please keep the farm stories coming. I cherish the memories of farm life that I only got to experience in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the neatest story. You know it had to be true, no one could make that up! I'm glad you had experiences on a farm, so you know how special it is.

      Delete
  6. Oh what sweet stories! I especially liked the one about the hen trying to adopt those kittens! Anybody who loves and cares for animals is okay in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet, thank you. I have loved and been around them my whole life. And I know I am the person I am today because of all they have "taught" me.

      Delete
  7. Just found your blog a couple weeks ago. I started at the beginning and can't wait till you are on the road again and preparing for the upcoming wedding. We retired two years ago and also enjoy volunteering for COE and NPS. We have three jobs planned for the rest of the year so we can pay Uncle Sam this year. But it is still better than working a paying job and sitting at the same ole desk everyday. Keep up the great blog, we really enjoy it. Becki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becki, Welcome and thanks for the comment. You know we can't wait until we are back on the road again too. Won't be long now, just 35 more days until full timing begins. Do you have a blog? Would love to read it if you do. You are right this is great living!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I love reading them, they make me feel
like I get to know each of you personally. Please keep them coming.......